Wednesday 3 March 2010

Day 29: Corruption competition

An interesting exchange in class today, when the teacher raised the issue of government corruption. It sparked a debate about who lived in the most corrupt country. Round the table there was an Argentinian, two Brazilians and a Russian. And myself. I don't know the Spanish for "expenses" but I think it might have provoked a few sniggers if I had.

THING I DIDN'T KNOW BEFORE TODAY:
One of Chile's founding fathers was an Irishman. A statue of Bernard O'Higgins stands in one of Buenos Aires's main squares

2 comments:

  1. In week two of conversational Spanish that subject is hardcore!!! I'd still be asking where the tourist information office is.
    Really enjoyed reading the blog. Great memories and v witty.
    Keep us posted!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tom - dad must have told you about Barnardo O'Higgins loads of times? He certainly did to me. I remember seeing lots of statues of him in Cuba.

    Sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete