Monday 12 April 2010

Day 69: Altitude and Israelis

Hardly slept, because my head feels like it is in a vice, my heart is pounding and I´m ready to vomit. So this is what altitude sickness feels like. Everyone is feeling a bit ropey. And tonight we´ll be even higher.

But nothing can detract from what is around me. Bolivia is a country that looks like it´s been Photoshopped. So vivid are the colours that you are rubbing your eyes, wondering if they´ve been digitally enhanced. Spectacular.


Sharing a jeep with four Israelis means that while my eyes are feasting on the beauty of Bolivia, my ears are learning much about Israel. One of them joked that on leaving military service, all Israelis are handed a Lonely Planet guidebook and a map of South America (joke copyright Eli Cohen).

THINGS I DIDN´T KNOW BEFORE TODAY:
1. About 60% of Israel is desert
2. Everyone must do military service, but girls do less than boys (two years, not three)
3. Israelis eat a lot

More pics of the desert HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment